San Antonio Dangerous Products Lawyer
If you have been hurt by a dangerous consumer product, the San Antonio defective product lawyers at Chris Mayo Law Firm can help you. Every product a person purchases should reasonably be expected to present little or no potential for seriously harming any user. The reality, however, is that far too many commercially-available goods in the United States can be extraordinarily dangerous for consumers, potentially causing life-altering physical damages or even wrongful death. For this reason, product liability laws are in place to ensure that the manufacturers of dangerous and defective products can be held accountable for their negligence.
From automotive defects resulting in car accidents to children’s toys posing choking hazards, consumers are harmed all too often due to defective and unsafe products. In all cases, however, our lawyers at the Chris Mayo Law Firm believe that product manufacturers who cause San Antonio residents undue harm ought to be held accountable for the consequences of their actions. By taking such action, victims are often able to get both the justice they are seeking and the financial compensation they need.
Common Types of Dangerous Products
From improperly made goods to products that get contaminated, there are dangerous products on shelves throughout the country. Some of the most common types of dangerous products include
Whether you have been harmed by these or other dangerous products, you might be owed compensation from the manufacturer or distributor responsible for the defect.
Frequently Asked Questions
When your or your family’s safety is at stake, you don’t only want immediate answers: you need them. In the case of defective and dangerous products, your situation is bound to be incredibly unique, and many of the questions you have will be best answered by the Chris Mayo Law Firm directly. To get you started, however, we’ve answered a few of our most frequently answered questions here.
How much money can I receive from my defective product case?
Unfortunately, no one-size-fits-all formula exists for these kinds of cases. There are a few damages you could claim, including the medical cost associated with any injuries you received, future medical bills, destruction of property, reimbursement for any time you had to take off work, as well as things like pain and trauma. In any case, it’s best to consult with an attorney in the case that you’re facing an injury due to a dangerous product due to this variety of ways you can receive compensation.
Why should I hire a law firm to represent me?
It is true that it is possible for an untrained individual to represent themselves, seek out compensation, and receive that compensation. However, injured parties who seek the help of an attorney get a return of three times more than their non-represented counterparts, on average. Moreover, most personal injury lawyers offer their services on a contingency basis, meaning that there is nothing owed unless the case is won. There is nothing to lose in seeking out the help of an attorney in the first place, but they also exist to make your life easier during the process. Rather be focusing on your recovery? So would we! Hiring an attorney from the Chris Mayo Law Firm means that your paperwork is being handled by an attorney who will keep you up to date and informed about meetings, dates, and deadlines.
Why should I hire the Chris Mayo Law Firm over the many other firms in San Antonio?
The Chris Mayo Law Firm team has been working alongside their San Antonio neighbors for years. When a big company tries to cut corners and you are hurt in the process, we see our friends, family, and neighbors being affected around us. You can contact us through a 24-hour live chat feature or give us a call at (210) 999-9999 to speak with one of our lawyers.
Product Defect Statistics
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), there were 303 recalls issued for consumer products in 2015 alone. The primary causes for these recalls were defects including laceration, strangulation, overheating, fire, shock, and general machinery failure. In addition, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued 494 recalls and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) issued 642 recalls of food products in the same year, for a total of 1,439 recalls of dangerous food products, toys, and other consumer goods. These statistics do not take into account recalls of vehicles by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which issued 843 automotive recalls affecting nearly 60 million vehicles.
Five Things You Should Know About Defective Products
So, what should you be aware of as a consumer? There are five things that you may or may not be aware of when it comes to defective products and recalls in the U.S. They include:
- Many product recalls are initiated after the product has caused harm to someone. Parent complaints or reported injuries are often the catalyst for many product recalls. Popular blogs or forums are where many of these issues first arise, and investigations often follow if enough people complain about potential hazards. The Consumer Product Safety Commission also has a reporting system in place on their website, www.cpsc.gov, on which consumers can report an unsafe product by clicking a button on the top left corner of the page.
- Even established brands and well-known products may be unsafe. Even if a brand has been around forever, or if the product is well-established in the market, it still has the potential to be hazardous to consumers. It is important to look out for potential dangers and watch for recalls, even for products that have been on the market for years.
- Companies may fight requests for recalls. While most companies will cooperate with the CPSC and will issue a recall if a product has been demonstrated to be unsafe for consumer use or consumption, in some cases, the company may fight against a recall by claiming that the product was used improperly or is safe under specific circumstances.
- Children aren’t the only ones at risk. While defective toys often get the most publicity when it comes to defective products, they are not the only ones who may be harmed by a consumer product. Adults often suffer injuries or illness as well, and they may be able to take action to report the product to the CPSC and may take legal action if they suffer serious harm.
- Recall information is easier to find than you think. If you want to stay on top of the latest news regarding product recalls, there is information readily available on cpsc.gov and recalls.gov. In addition, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has information about defective automobiles on their site here. For food recalls, visit foodsafety.gov.
While it is important to stay on top of recalled products to protect yourself and your family, education only goes so far. Far too often, a defective product causes serious injury or illness before the public has been adequately warned of its dangers. When this happens, the injured party may be eligible to take legal action to hold the manufacturer and every entity in the distribution chain responsible for their medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering as a result of the defective product.
Talk to a Dangerous Products Attorney in San Antonio
When you or a loved one suffers due to a defective, unsafe, or malfunctioning product, the physical, emotional, and psychological harm it often causes can be difficult to recover from. However, with the compensation from the party responsible for the dangerous product, getting the help you and your family needs can be much easier. Talk with a lawyer from the Chris Mayo Law Firm at (210) 999-9999 about how we might be able to help you file a product liability claim.