San Antonio Product Liability Lawyer
Too many commercially-available goods in the United States can be extraordinarily dangerous for consumers, potentially causing life-altering physical damages or even wrongful death. Product liability laws are in place to ensure that the manufacturers of dangerous and defective products can be held accountable for their negligence.
From automotive defects resulting in car accidents to children’s toys posing choking hazards, consumers are harmed all too often due to defective and unsafe products. We believe that product manufacturers who cause consumers undue harm ought to be held accountable. Victims of these types of injuries deserve justice and financial compensation.
Five Things You Should Know About Defective Products
So, what should you be aware of as a consumer? There are five things that you may or may not be aware of when it comes to defective products and recalls in the U.S.:
- Many product recalls are initiated after the product has caused harm to someone. Parent complaints or reported injuries are often the catalyst for many product recalls. Popular blogs or forums are where many of these issues first arise, and investigations often follow if enough people complain about potential hazards. The Consumer Product Safety Commission also has a reporting system in place on their website, where consumers can report an unsafe product by clicking a button on the top left corner of the page.
- Even established brands and well-known products may be unsafe. Well-established brands and products in the market also have the potential to be hazardous to consumers. It is important to look out for potential dangers and watch for recalls, even for products that have been on the market for years.
- Companies may fight requests for recalls. While most companies will cooperate with the CPSC and will issue a recall if a product has been demonstrated to be unsafe for consumer use or consumption, in some cases, the company may fight against a recall by claiming that the product was used improperly or is safe under specific circumstances.
- Children aren’t the only ones at risk. While defective toys often get the most publicity when it comes to defective products, they are not the only ones who may be harmed by a consumer product. Adults often suffer injuries or illness as well, and they may be able to take action to report the product to the CPSC and may take legal action if they suffer serious harm.
- Recall information is easier to find than you think. If you want to stay on top of the latest news regarding product recalls, there is information readily available on cpsc.gov and recalls.gov. In addition, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has information about defective automobiles on their site here. For food recalls, visit foodsafety.gov.
While it is important to stay on top of recalled products to protect yourself and your family, education only goes so far. Far too often, a defective product causes serious injury or illness before the public has been warned of its dangers. When this happens, the injured party may be eligible to take legal action to hold the manufacturer and every entity in the distribution chain responsible for their medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering as a result of the defective product.
Frequently Asked Questions
When your or your family’s safety is at stake, you need concrete answers. Here are a few of our most frequently answered questions about product liability.
Unfortunately, no one-size-fits-all formula exists for these kinds of cases. There are a few damages you could claim including the medical cost associated with any injuries you received, future medical bills, destruction of property, reimbursement for any time you had to take off work, as well as things like pain and trauma. In any case, it’s best to consult with an attorney to understand how you might receive compensation.
It is true that it is possible for an untrained individual to represent themselves and receive compensation. However, on average, injured parties who seek the help of an attorney get a return of three times more than their non-represented counterparts. You can also rest easy knowing most injury lawyers offer their services on a contingency basis, meaning that there is nothing owed unless the case is won.
There is nothing to lose in seeking out the help of an attorney in the first place and they exist to make your life easier during the process. Rather be focusing on your recovery? So would we!
The Chris Mayo Law Firm team has been working alongside their San Antonio neighbors for years. When a big company tries to cut corners and you are hurt in the process, we see our friends, family, and neighbors being affected around us. Hiring an attorney from the Chris Mayo Law Firm means that your paperwork is being handled by an attorney who will keep you up to date and informed about meetings, dates, and deadlines. You can contact us through our 24-hour live chat feature or give us a call speak with one of our lawyers.
When you or a loved one suffers due to a defective, unsafe, or malfunctioning product, the physical, emotional, and psychological harm it often causes can be difficult to recover from. Getting compensation from the party responsible can help you and your family during the process Talk with one of our lawyers about how we might be able to help you file a product liability claim.